Brian Szabo, DO
Dr. Szabo is our first recipient of the William J. Lahners, MD, Fellowship. The fellowship program carefully selects one participant to join our competitive program based on their education, experience, skillset, and passion for ophthalmology. This one year program is led by Founder and Medical Director of Newsom Eye, T. Hunter Newsom, MD.
Through Dr. Szabo’s education and research, he has gained experience and knowledge in the field of ophthalmology and specifically honing his skills in cataract and refractive surgery.
During his Fellowship with Newsom Eye, Dr. Szabo has participated in FDA research and presented at ASCRS 2023 in San Diego to 14,000 cataract and refractive surgeons. His presentations included Light-Adjustable Lens (LAL), Clearview lens, and PanOptix lenses focusing on studying distance and near-vision.
Dr. Szabo also spoke to the Hillsborough Society of Optometry on Glaucoma treatment options during cataract surgery.
In 2022, Dr. Szabo inserted the first Clearvision lens in Florida, and one of the first in the nation.
Born and raised in a small town outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Dr. Szabo currently resides in St. Petersburg. He is an avid pro and college sports fan of golf, baseball, and football. Dr. Szabo and his wife Ashley play competitive sand volleyball and kickball. In his free time he enjoys golfing, pickleball, and hiking with his wife and Bernese Mountain dog, Robbie
- Fellowship in Cataract and Refractive Laser Surgery, Newsom Eye, Tampa, FL
- Residency in Ophthalmology, HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME: Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point, Hudson, FL
- Internship in Internal Medicine, St. Petersburg General Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Lake Erie College of osteopathic Medicine, Erie, PA
- Bachelor of Science In Cell and Molecular Biology, Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, PA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- William J. Lahners, MD, Fellowship in Cataract and Refractive Laser Surgery, Newsom Eye, Tampa, FL
- Resident of the year nominee, St. Petersburg General Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
- Team Captain of Washington and Jefferson College Baseball team, Washington, PA
- Selected to the President Athletic Conference, All Conference Baseball Team in 2012
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Florida Medical Association
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery